As soon as a system is accessible from the Internet, the first attack is launched after an average of seven seconds by automated programs that scan the Internet for vulnerable targets at all times and without pause. If your network turns out to be vulnerable, automated attacks will most likely follow initially as well. If your company continues to prove a worthwhile target, there is also the risk of far more dangerous and sophisticated attacks by experienced hackers.
For a comprehensive security analysis of your network, we use network penetration testing. This service not only tests your network security but also evaluates your entire internal infrastructure, including all network systems and applications. A targeted IT penetration test identifies any vulnerabilities in your services, processes, or interfaces. Our experts exploit these vulnerabilities for a simulated cyber attack.
What is a pen test?
In IT, a pen test is a planned attack on a network of any size or an individual computer in order to identify the vulnerabilities of the corresponding test object. To do this, all kinds of attack models are simulated with the support of all kinds of tools that are based on popular attack methods. Common components that are subjected to an intrusion test are:
• Network coupling elements;
• Security gateways;
• Telecommunication systems;
• Any kind of web applications;
• Infrastructure facilities such as access control mechanisms;
• Involved wireless networks like WLANs or Bluetooth.
White-box and black-box tests
Another distinction between infrastructure and web server penetration tests is that infrastructure penetration tests are very often performed in the form of black-box tests. In this case, the person performing the test knows very little in advance about the IT systems he or she wants to attack. In the case of a web application pentest, however, test users must be created in the web application for all existing rights levels. This is already quite similar to a white box test and is also necessary for a more effective web application penetration test.
Web server penetration test
A very special case is a penetration test for a web server that is clearly part of an IT infrastructure. Very complicated content management systems (CMS) are often used here, which quickly reach their limits when the interaction is attempted.
In addition, some websites have built-in online stores, forums, or other applications. Such existing web applications allowed users to enter and communicate.
Motivation and requirements for a pen test
Basically, the exposure of your network to attacks naturally increases as the value of your data grows. Municipal institutions and banks that manage a large number of valuable customer information are just as likely to be targeted by criminals as successful firms that store valuable know-how on their servers. However, in case you manage data or plans of the least importance in your own network, you by no means need to feel secure – independently of such, whether you manage an online store and have store management systems or products running on a network server, offer a web-based information project with a large number of inputs or elementary use the network as a working platform. Here the villains still have all chances to put you in harm’s way and, for example:
• Paralyze web projects or work environments maintained by you;
• Get hold of valuable passwords of network users;
• Infiltrate malware;
• Steal log-in data from customer accounts;
• Or misuse computer systems of your network.
Apart from the economic consequences, a loss of image cannot be ruled out if customers are directly affected or the attack becomes public knowledge.
As a result of the network penetration test, you will receive our findings as well as recommendations on how to fix these vulnerabilities in your system. A subsequent penetration test of the IT systems shows whether the implemented countermeasures work.
For whom is network penetration testing recommended?
Companies and organizations of all sizes usually process large amounts of data within their network. To ensure that neither sensitive nor other important information is leaked to unauthorized third parties, the infrastructure must be able to withstand cyberattacks. As new technologies and hacking strategies continue to threaten networks, it pays to conduct regular network penetration testing – regardless of your industry or company size. It’s the only way to maintain the long-term security of your internal network.
What are the benefits of network penetration testing?
With the help of our network penetration testing, we check the entire infrastructure of your network. You will benefit from the following advantages:
• Vulnerability disclosure: We uncover all security gaps in your network structure.
• Evaluation of your existing security concepts: We test the extent to which your Internet-based, as well as locally implemented defenses, hold up against cyber attacks of any kind.
• Secure execution of the network penetration test: During the IT penetration test, your data, as well as processes, are still protected. Despite the simulated hacker attacks, nothing is lost and you can continue your business processes as usual.
• Compliance with all industry standards: Our network penetration test is compliant with all current security requirements.
How do we perform network penetration testing?
If you decide to use our network penetration testing service, industry-specific security risks are first analyzed within the preparation phase and in a kick-off meeting. Based on this, we determine the objectives and the approach together with you. Subsequently, the security analysis of your network takes place within five steps:
• Data collection as preparation for the actual network penetration test.
• Threat modeling and vulnerability detection to find possible entry points into the system.
• Exploitation of the found vulnerabilities, privilege escalation, and lateral movement to gain access to sensitive accounts.
• Comprehensive reporting that assesses the risk level of your network and recommends possible countermeasures.
• Renewed IT penetration test after implementation of the recommended measures. This allows you to see whether the applied solutions were successful.
During the network penetration test, we adhere to internal guidelines that our experts have drawn up.
If you are interested in a network penetration test, we will be happy to provide you with a free quote. To do so, simply leave your contact information and data about your company.